Day two demolition finished with only a little bit of blood spilled (culprits: nail and lathe in walls, wily little buggers), and plenty of sweat. All in all, despite mild injuries (I was assured they were “merely flesh wounds” and was “just a scratch”) it was a great day. Plumbing that was tangled and twisted and altogether not quite cutting it anymore was completely removed like a tumor. Walls that existed have been reduced to a single post; floors have been removed and have vanished from the house, just like that. Ceilings came down, raining plaster on the crew – they even had to take mini-showers in the yard with the hose. When I asked if they needed towels, I was told, “Nah, I’ll just drip dry in the yard.” Adorable! Hard work like that deserves a reward that a “thank you” just doesn’t seem to provide. I’ll think of something…
Another tidbit of good news: they think the floor in the kitchen is salvageable! And, it’s not oak, as we suspected, but some sort of fir, heart or southern yellow pine (totally hard to tell as it’s still covered in the tar that was used to adhere the crazy 40’s flooring). Should make a beautiful, character-filled addition to our kitchen design. Excited!
After a little tidying (I hope they don’t mind that I organized their tool recharging station), and a lot more photographing I’m feeling good about the state of affairs here. I’ve learned that good preparation – which includes investigation – is an integral part of reducing stress in this process. Of course, we’ve had some good luck today, so maybe I’m just feeling all puffed up. Either way, don’t rain on my parade!