Week 7, Day 31, and we’re in for a quiet start to the week. With a solo Dave working on punchlist-type details in preparation for a more active end to the week, we were able to NOT set the alarm for the first weekday in, well, 6 weeks. I slept until just after 8, and it was splendid. Dave picked up trim, painted, joint-compounded (spots here and there dinged by construction life), and just generally tidied the spaces. Fussed, I think the word was?
Upon closer examination of the cabinets, we noticed some issues with the paint finish – due in part to the fact that not all of the protective shipping pieces stayed on as they should have, so some of the cabinet doors were a tad bit dented, cracked or scratched at the corners – so we had a meeting with the cabinet people. A few door fronts are being re-ordered, and we’ll try to touch up some of the other spots where the finish looks like it’s been rubbed off (or chipped off) already and some bits of raw wood are exposed (not what we expected for brand new cabinets). Some of these issues are apparently common (but not foretold to us) to white painted cabinets; others are special, just for us! Hooray! (Voice thick with sarcasm, here.)
We also came to the unfortunate conclusion that with frameless cabinets the cabinet depth enumerated was merely the depth of the box. (The so-called industry standard of a 24″ deep base cabinet refers to the box alone. The door adds extra depth that a frame-style cabinet includes in its depth measurement. Lesson learned, the hard way.) Ugh. This became a problem in our Heidner peninsula area, where the inches just didn’t add up. Our custom pieces that we thought were going to be 15″ turned out to be 16,” the finished column was not actually finished as we expected, well, the list goes on… let’s just say it’s a challenge, and one I am not looking forward to dealing with. I guess this is what it is to be a designer, dealing with unexpected issues and moving forward. And we really, really need to move forward.
All in all, though, the cabinets are in good working order, and we really like the look of them. So, once all this silliness gets sorted out (and I’ve had a few days to simmer down, now) we can move on to the rest of the space. And I can’t really wait as I am thoroughly cabinet-ed out.
In other news, bonus weekend work was done by us! We repainted our front door trim on the outside, since the weekend weather was spectacular, and since Brad is done re-wiring everything on the exterior. The project took several hours (Jeff got bored watching me paint – but I made him hold the ladder anyway!), and was extremely satisfying. Cleaning up the outside, finishing something (anything!), just generally making it look like someone still lives here… it was completely uplifting. There is nothing like clean, fresh, white paint. Sigh.
Pictures, from the weekend and today!